Sunday, November 23, 2008

Indian summer

When: November 15, 2008
Where: Brooklyn & Manhattan, NY
Words: Unglamorous but ulcer-free

It rained almost the entire time I was in New York for the latest Canteen hijinks, except for two gorgeous hours on Saturday afternoon. During that window, I got to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time, under a sky that looked like this:



Bridge construction blows my mind. Here are the bolts that hold it all together:


And here's the spider's web you see when you look up:


These are my hosts, Stephen (Canteen's publisher) and Dr. Minal.



It's apparently my goal to look windblown in a red-striped shirt in as many countries as possible.


The big Proposition 8 protests were being held nationwide that afternoon, so they shut down a few of the highway exits.


This is the final approach to Manhattan, looking up:



And looking down:



This golden tree was holding court at the intersection of Broadway and Chambers.


New York protestors get serious points for creative signage. Here are a few of my favorites:




This is apparently the actual name of this plaza, unless somebody woke up feeling extra-homophobic and hung a fake sign before the rally:


We took the subway back from the station with the best art, or so I think. I shot a black-and-white version of one of these eye mosaics last year. It's prettier but less realistic than full color:

No comments: